I decided to change this website yet again to a simple Hugo generated site for a few reasons.

  1. It is more secure. There’s no login and password like with Wordpress that can be hacked. The only way into the site is with my SSH key.
  2. It is simple. I hate cookies warnings and I hate it when web developers include cookies when they are not needed. Consider this to me by privacy statement. This website doesn’t have any cookies therefore there is nothing for me to use or sell.
  3. I like the idea of being able to edit my site with a CLI text editor. I am writing this with Vim.

However, Hugo is a pain in the butt to work with at times. I would genuinely have more flexibity to make pages using plain html, but that would also be a to write and it would be ugly.

For example, it took far too long to figure out how to include the above image. It seemed like it would make sense if I could just include the image in normal markdown tags and then tell it to resize the image to the size that I want. No, in order to do that, I need to create a new configuration file that includes this image and then I can include it in a post. That’s a lot of work and research just to include and resize an email. My workaround: I used The Gimp to resize the image and then I reuploaded it.